Opsdir last call review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13

Reviewer: Joe Clarke
Review result: Has Nits

I have been requested to review draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt for the ops
directorate.  This document describes the effects of pervasive encryption on
operators.  The document sets out a rather comprehensive list of network data
(in motion and at rest) use cases and explains how encryption will effect each
of them.  Overall, I feel this document is ready.  As someone that has
supported networks from a troubleshooting perspective for years, I was
especially pleased with the numerous callouts to troubleshooting impacts as
well as deficiencies in application logging.

To that end, it might be useful to specifically point out where vendors have a
role to fill in some of these areas to allow for transit encryption while
providing the necessary hooks for operators to manage and troubleshoot their
network.  Specifically, in many of the troubleshooting scenarios, operators
won't be able to provide truly useful tools to their end users unless the
vendors provide the right level of visibility.

On to some nits.

In section 1.1 you use "end user's" where I think you mean "end users'".

===

Section 2.  Today, Snowden is fairly well-known.  But as this document lives,
maybe the specifics of what he's done may get fuzzy.  Perhaps this could do
with a reference.

===

Sections 5.3 and 6.2: you reference the abbreviation SNI before formally
defining it.  It's more obvious in Section 6.2.