Re: a list observation

> On 21 Nov 2017, at 12:20 pm, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> --On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 12:01 +1100 Mark Andrews
> <marka@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Audio quality is important for remote participation.  This
>> includes good echo cancellation.  It really is hard to talk
>> when you own voice is echoed back with a large delay.  I
>> needed to manually mute the audio stream while talking which
>> isn't the best.
>
> +1
> While doing a presentation, I decided to use a headset (rarely
> needed because I've got high-end echo canceling gear) and just
> ignored hearing myself in the room on delay.  I guess I didn't
> find that as hard as you did, but it wasn't pleasant.  What I
> don't know is what to do about it -- while I suppose it would be
> possible to mute the in-room microphones while someone remote
> has the virtual floor, I suspect that would not be compatible
> with Meetecho's remote presenter mode.
>
>    john

Echo cancellation should be possible in the room.  They have the feed they are sending to the room speakers and the feeds from the various mics.  After that it is delay detection and feeding in a negative signal at the right level for each mic.  How much the audio gear to do this costs is I don’t know.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx