Re: On audio quality requirements for IETF meetings

On Nov 17, 2017, at 21:27, Eric Gray <eric.gray@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the audio for remote participants varied from nearly non-existent to almost audible in at least a few of the meetings for at least some of the meeting time

When listening to the IETF audio, I run it through a dynamics compressor(*) (also very useful for the very irregular levels you get with WebEx audio in interim meetings).  That does not help with noise, but it sure does with bad levels.

I have always wondered if the dynamics compression could not be done at the source.

Grüße, Carsten

(*) For those with a Mac: Install soundflower and a VST tool of your choice (I use Audio Hijack), run the system audio to soundflower, and run the VST plugin AUDynamics (comes with the Mac) from that to the speaker output you want to use.
Configure AUDynamics for an about 40 dB (I’m not joking) knee.  Don’t forget to reset system audio to your speaker output when you switch back to a sane audio source…