Re: Last Call: <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13.txt> (Effect of Pervasive Encryption on Operators) to Informational RFC

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Paul Wouters <paul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, S Moonesamy wrote:
>
>> Sorry for not being clear.  The draft states that "NULL Authentication
>> with IPsec" has been implemented and deployed.  Given that it is a practice,
>> is it a good idea?
>

> The deployments I'm aware of with mesh encryption using IPsec did try
> to keep some kind of network based monitoring/filtering in place, but
> in the end concluded enterprise wide mesh encryption is more important,
> and the rules of the network monitoring/firewalls can be pushed to the
> endnodes using the usual sync methods (puppet, ansible, new gold image
> container, etc).
>
> I dont think the IETF should try to answer whether it is a good idea or
> not. There was a need for this, and we enabled the protocol to perform
> this optional function.

... and the document isn't trying to make those sorts of judgement
calls. I've heard some mumblings that people thought that this
document was somehow recommending against encryption or that
encryption is "bad" in some way. This really isn't the intent; rather
documenting places where encryption impacts operators network
management practices informs the operator so they can design new ways
to manage the network, and also informs protocol designers so they are
aware that removing certain information may negatively impact how well
the network works (and so negatively impact their performance).

An example of this is that some enterprises prioritize VoIP / video
conference traffic (esp from remote offices) to provide better user
experience. Having this data encrypted (e.g from a browser) is (note:
personal judgement call here!) a good thing, but it does mean that the
enterprise cannot use their existing methods to prioritize the
traffic, and having them know this is useful - otherwise a: the
quality gets sucky, and b: the enterprise may try block this.
So, documenting the effects of encryption is NOT to discourage it, but
rather try make it better deployed -- the authors are not
anti-encryption, quite the opposite.  One of the authors is a Security
AD, the original sponsoring AD was another Security AD (Stephen).

Much of the document came from contributions - earlier versions of the
document hadn't fully scrubbed the tone to remove judgements - please
note that it has had significant rewrites to scrub this; places where
there may be implications that encryption is bad are not intentional
and should be point out so they can be addressed (e.g the "ideally")

> Paul

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf