Re: Last Call: <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13.txt> (Effect of Pervasive Encryption on Operators) to Informational RFC

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, S Moonesamy wrote:

Sorry for not being clear. The draft states that "NULL Authentication with IPsec" has been implemented and deployed. Given that it is a practice, is it a good idea?

The deployments I'm aware of with mesh encryption using IPsec did try
to keep some kind of network based monitoring/filtering in place, but
in the end concluded enterprise wide mesh encryption is more important,
and the rules of the network monitoring/firewalls can be pushed to the
endnodes using the usual sync methods (puppet, ansible, new gold image
container, etc).

I dont think the IETF should try to answer whether it is a good idea or
not. There was a need for this, and we enabled the protocol to perform
this optional function.

Paul