Re: letting IETF build on top of Open Source technology

Hi S.

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 4:34 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Alia,
At 08:02 PM 29-10-2017, Alia Atlas wrote:
After some discussion, my co-authors and I have written down a proposed policy that would clearly and specifically allow standards-track RFCs to have external non-SDO normative references.  It's not disallowed now - but determining early when it is ok is unclear.

I read draft-atlas-external-normref-00.  "Opus" was an exception.  I don't think that it is a good example of referencing external code.

Agreed - the point was supposed to be that while referencing external code might be reasonable in extremely limited situations (an algorithm or codec and Opus was such an example), usually a clear specification is needed.

What is an "Open Source Organization"?  Are there examples of such organizations documenting IPR?

There are a number of projects under the Linux Foundation.  Taking a quick glance at OpenNFV, I find
https://www.opnfv.org/about/bylaws-and-policies/ip-policy
which binds contributions to the Apache License.

While the motivation that I see for this proposed policy is to help make it easier for the IETF and Open Source to collaboration, nothing in the policy is intended to be restricted to Open Source Organizations or require a clear definition of one.

Thanks for reading the draft!  I really do appreciate all the feedback :-)

Cheers,
Alia

Regards,
S. Moonesamy