RE: letting IETF build on top of Open Source technology

Hi Alia,

> >  1.  Is it stable, mature, and immutable (except for errata)?
>
> Those are not well known characteristics of open source projects.
> Even if we tie a reference down to a very specific version, I'm unclear how
> that can truly act as a stable reference. It may be stable in a mathematical
> sense, but it may also be seven years behind deployed reality.

I agree with Brian. There are different type of non-SDO organizations having documents with diverse maturity levels and stability. Many of them don't qualify as normative references.

Obvious examples for normative references are usually from well-known SDOs like IEEE or W3C where the new standard-track RFC uses it as its basis or builds on-top of it (e.g. 	[W3C.REC-xml-20001006])

I also don't see an issue with MD5 and HMAC as these are Informational RFCs at IETF with a well-known stability.

Looking at section 1.1. of RFC 3967 and the statement: "a normative reference specifies a document that must be read to fully understand or implement the subject matter in the new RFC, or whose contents are effectively part of the new RFC, as its omission would leave the new RFC incompletely specified",
can you please give examples of external documents from non-DOSs, which clearly qualify as normative references for a standard-track RFC at IETF?
I think primarily on non-SDO documents where the new RFC would build on-top of it.

Thanks,
Mehmet