Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/27/2017 08:40 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com> wrote:
>     > As you know, ISOC supports the IETF in several ways (in addition to
>     > providing funding). Please, think about how ISOC could help support the
>     > IETF in potentially new ways or how the current programs could make an
>     > even larger impact, and let's have a conversation in Singapore. Thanks!
>
> My take is (in this order);
>    * longer, more involved Hackathons,
>    * open source reference implementations  (%)
>    * cheaply and easily reproduceable test bed/skaffolding for complex protocols
>    * facilitating conformance testing, particularly for open source implementations.

If we are going in that direction then I think it about time that the IETF starts using formal methods to verify protocols, so instead of partially checking that a protocol works (which is the best that hackathons or testing can bring to the table), we have a guarantee that they do work.  (self-serving too, as I am working since a couple years on yet another markdown language that does exactly that).

The wonderful and frustrating thing is that there isn't a single activity that will capture all of what would be useful.
Luckily, these can be bitten off in smaller chunks.  How would either of you experiment with creating the efforts your are suggesting?
What support is needed?  Why would folks be motivated to help or able to see what incremental success looks like?

Incidentally, do check out the Code Lounge at IETF 100 as an effort to encourage Hackathon-style coding to continue...

Regards,
Alia

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin