Re: Feedback on draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-13

> On 27 Oct 2017, at 12:59 am, Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks very much for your comments (again).
>
> Please see below.
>

> On 10/26/17 3:38 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> Overall, I like this specification, and am very interested to see how it is received by the market. That said, I found some significant issues that I believe need to be addressed before publication.
>>

>> ## Design Issues/Questions
>>
>> * 1.8 Order of Operations talks about retrieving the MUD URL, but doesn't give any detail about how clients should do so. What URL schemes are acceptable?
>
> This is spelled out in Section 5.  Only "https" may be used.

My apologies, I missed that. It might be worth calling this out earlier.

>> If HTTP(S) is, what headers should be sent in the GET request?
>
> I will add text that indicates that the Accept header should indicate
> "application/mud+json" as described in the IANA considerations section.
>
>> Should redirects be followed?
>
> Normal semantics should be observed, with the exception that .  I'll
> note this in the draft in a new subsection.  However...
>
>> Should unsuccessful (e.g., 4xx, 5xx) responses be ignored, or trigger some other state? What level of certificate checking is required for HTTPS? Etc. It could be that your intent is "everything that the Web platform does", but that should be said explicitly.
> Some amount of offline guidance is also required and should be added
> (and see immediately below).
>> * 3.2 and 3.3 duplicate the functionality of HTTP Last-Modified and Cache-Control. What is the benefit of doing so? Realistically, do you expect manufacturers to use protocols other than HTTPS to host MUD files?
>
> Realistically I expect there to be a substantial amount of offline
> usage, potentially including offline or alternative datastores,  and as
> this is a relatively new concept, we'd like to leave open the
> possibility for alternative resolution mechanisms.  I know of some who
> want to create different repositories requiring different resolution
> mechanisms.  I don't think that at this point we should foreclose that
> possibility.

HTTP can be used offline as well. Since adding some other resolution mechanism would almost certainly require revising the specification and/or adding extensions, why not do it then?

>> * 3.5 systeminfo points to a URL for a human-readable description, but does not describe how it is to be localised for the administrator. E.g., should the fetch for that URL include Accept-Language? If it's HTML, how should that be presented? What versions of HTML are allowed?
>
> Yes, the intent is to allow for the use of "Accept-Language".  If you
> have a recommendation about HTML versions or around language support, I
> would be grateful.  The intent is also for this not to be a large file,
> but very few words to describe the device, possibly with a link <a> for
> more information.

Allowing arbitrary HTML content has a number of risks, if it's to be displayed in another context. I'd strongly recommend you specify a more constrained format.

>> * 3.6 extensions says that extensions have to be declared up-front. This is counter to common practice for most HTTP/JSON based APIs; why is it necessary?
>
> This is due to an unclear statement in 3.6.  The words "prior to" should
> probably be replaced by "without".  It may be an artifact of an earlier
> version. The intent was to get rid of the ordering, precisely to avoid
> ordering concerns.

Right, but that doesn't impact my comment. Why do you have to declare extensions at all?

>> * 5. What does a MUD URL look like? uses a well-known URI to establish a structured name space. RFC5785 Section 1.1 explains that this is not the purpose of well-known URIs. Furthermore, it creates static structure in URLs, which is strongly discouraged by BCP190. I'm happy to work with you to help understand and meet your goals without misusing URIs.
>
> The issue here ties to above.  It's important to externalize the
> versioning from the file and from the protocol.  The MUD URL is a
> convenient way to do that.  We have already seen two versions of the MUD
> file (XML and JSON).  Two others have already been discussed (YAML and
> CBOR).  We've settled on JSON for now, but it's a sure bet that it will
> change in later versions.  We have HTTP as one means for resolution.  I
> expect there will be a few others, given that people have already
> approached me about alternatives.  Also, see my response directly below.

HTTP already has well-understood mechanisms to identify formats, and they aren't in URLs; putting it there has long and widely been known to be a bad practice. Saying that you need to do so in case one day you want to support a different protocol that doesn't enable those mechanisms isn't a good reason to violate best practice for HTTP.

You seem to be engaging in an attempt to layer your application semantics onto multiple application protocols with a one-size-fits-all approach. I'll point you at experiences with SOAP and WS-* to illustrate how well that goes.

>> * 12 Creating and Processing of Signed MUD files uses a separate file (at a fixed location) to host a signature. Why not just require use of HTTPS, leveraging WebPKI? Or, if there's a good reason not to do that, why not carry the signature in a response header field?
>
> See above,

I see what you did there, trying to get me into a circular reference...

> plus we want to make it easy for people who are really just
> acquainting themselves with our technology to easily deploy MUD.
> Requiring a header field would cause them to do all sorts of web
> customization.  Storing a file is already a challenge for some, not to
> mention generating it.

If that's your concern, we already have a wonderful specification for these technology-challenged users, the File Transfer Protocol.

Seriously, though, I'm sick of this argument. Adding a header is not exotic, it is not difficult. Fifteen years ago it may have been difficult to get a WordPress host to set a header for you, but we no longer live in that world; people host things on Heroko, App Engine and lots of other places that give you high-fidelity access to HTTP semantics. In 2017, people writing IoT software and deploying it on a global scale (presumably, your audience here) can set a HTTP header on a response.

Double so since here we're literally talking about setting a MIME type -- something that people can do out of the box with a file extension on most filesystem-based HTTP servers, if they choose.

>> ## Editorial Suggestions
>>
>> * 1. Introduction needs some reworking; it meanders and has short, choppy sentences, and the voice seems off for a specification.
>
> I'm happy to rework specific parts, if you'd like to work with me
> offline on this.

Great. You wouldn't happen to have this in Github somewhere, would you?

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/