Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

Hi Gonzalo,

I will suggest that we have a clear text (may be in the mission statement) that avoids ISOC (and staff) to get involved into courts decisions in democratic countries and even comment them unless they have documents that demonstrate what they are saying. The recent happenings in Catalonia and the lies that ISOC staff has communicated, are not only illegal but also lies, and can bring legal consequences to ISOC & staff as a Spanish prosecutor is already looking into that. I’m not going to repeat myself on this, this is explained at:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20170926_catalonian_matter_law_order_democracy_freedom_of_speech_censorship/
and the continuation at:
https://jordipalet.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/isoc-against-its-own-principles-acting.html

Also, after reading your email, and according to the highlighted activities I will like to bring a couple of possible more concrete actions.

1) As one of the proposed activities is “Facilitates open development of standards, protocols, administration, and the technical infrastructure of the Internet”, and this is clearly referring, at least in part, to IETF, considering increase in the revenue that you mention, I think it will be very relevant to understand that many frequent and active participants are contributing from their own pockets, which our own personal time. So, I think we should consider that those not backed by big companies, could get some funding at least to cover their registration fee. I’m not sure if also traveling expenses, but I guess increasing the ISOC contribution to IETF, to make the registration fee free for those that need that support, will not mean a very high cost for ISOC and for many of us it is over 2.000 USD per year.
2) I’m missing highlighting very concrete activities regarding “globally-connected, and secure”. Let me explain what I think are relevant actions that can be taken here in the next paragraphs.

I’ve been tracking personally the problem of spam for several years, and precisely we had a discussion with some folks on this yesterday night. I’m clear that it requires some investigators, and I’m not talking only about “network” research, but also lawyers. I’m convinced that whois privacy is a big problem, as it hides criminals, and we should get involved in making sure that ICANN understands it.

My few resources to investigate this, brought me to the conviction (I’m not saying that it was not clear for me before, but now I’ve evidences) that there are some criminal organizations using spam for many other criminal actions. They create user databases (at least with emails, but possibly other personal data), and they are at the minimum, selling or hiring those databases to another kind of “legal” but in my personal view, also criminal organizations which call themselves “email marketing companies”. Nobody, in general provides his/her email for receiving spam, and in many countries, this is forbidden, and is even against the law, to have registered you email (despite what the “form” said), and use it for a different “ad campaign”. In many countries every spam sender, requires a previous and explicit acceptance from the email owner, but this is never respected.

I’ve got threatened by several of those organizations when I’ve tried to act against them, and unfortunately, I don’t see data protection agencies and governments taking a strong position/action on this, so Internet citizens are not protected.

I think ISOC could invest in doing a good investigation on this (I’m happy to help, I’ve even a law proposal for governments to be able to fine/punish organizations hiring those illegal “spam” services), bring this data to lawyers, and start a few suites against those criminal organizations, so governments actually see the problem, make strong rules and enforce them.

In summary, in my opinion “email marketing” should be only used for a company to advertise their *own* products to their *own* customers or interested ones that have explicitly agreed on that (which is what the law say in many countries, but is not getting enforced).

I’m talking about spam, but the implications of what I explained above are related to security in general in the network, intrusion in our “own” devices and apps, and all kind of related cybercrimes, and in the near future, if we don’t act now, it will also have very serious implications in IoT and new developments.

This week, during the RIPE meeting in Dubai, I learnt from ISOC staff about the OTA (https://otalliance.org/), which is now an ISOC activity. This is one of the topics I believe ISOC should invest. My view has two sides:
a) The use of clouds is good (I don’t think is technically necessary with IPv6), but it requires SDOs, governments and industry to agree in ways to protect consumers. Short explanation. You by a device, it works only (or many of the best features) thru a cloud. Vendor goes to bankrupt, you throw away the device, even if it costed several hundred dollars. Possible solution, governments have laws (as in any other field, FCC, EC, UL, etc.), that mandate that every device being imported in a territory, either is not using cloud, or it has open and standard APIs so instead of using only the vendor “free” cloud can be attached/used to other ones without losing functionalities.
b) Security of those devices. Any Internet or IoT device, must pass (the same as FCC, EC, etc.), minimum security testing to allow to be upgraded when security bugs are found, to avoid easily being hacked, etc. I recall when we had modems, that need to pass specific regulations, and you can’t bring them to your country is they don’t have got the certification number. Nothing new here, just a different way to “connect” (it was RJ45 before, now is IP).

A possible path for both areas is having the same organizations doing those FCC, EC, UL, etc., testing, increasing their test, with the support from IETF or other SDOs when applicable, and making sure that governments and industry get together in supporting it and not allowing non-compliance devices to be in the market. I believe that having the same “certification” authorities, will not increase the “testing” cost, neither the “enforcement” cost (same border controls in customs when importing products), and vendors will have an “easy” way to follow those specs if we work together.

In my opinion ISOC has the power and budget to do that, and again, I’m happy to work on this area and specially contribute to the discussion of possible paths.

Regards,
Jordi