Re: page numbers or not, was So do both

In article <5FD7556A2031BF3C232754CA@PSB> you write:
>Up to a point, yes.  On the other hand, unless the RFC Editor
>intends to make a rule requiring either that sections (or
>subsections) not extend over circa a page, or numbering lines,
>or doing something else that facilities references into a
>document, I think you'd best retain a canonical / distributed
>version with page numbers, headers, and footers.  That
>information is a lot easier to remove than it is to reliably add.

I think that when this came up before, the conclusion was that the
canonical references would be to section numbers and paragraphs.
There are a lot of ways to print out a document, e.g., our heritage
line printer emulation, XML direct to PDF, XML to HTML to printer via
various browsers, all of which will produce different pagination.  And
of course there's North American paper sizes vs. A4, and dynamic
pagnization for screens on various devices

If the way to find page numbers is to go find the line printer version
and cross reference that to the version of the document I actually
use, I expect I am not the only person who won't.

On the third hand, if people really like page numbers, it wouldn't be
hard to add an XML element that says page N starts here.  But I don't
think we like page numbers that much.

R's,
John