Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> A *pollution-intolerant* tool is one that can do UTF-8, but reacts adversely to UTF-8 with BOMs.  Many tools that look for text signatures to do some form of file type detection are foiled by BOMs.  A recent example I happen to remember is Mark Thomson’s I-D template code; this tries to recognize two different variants of markdown by looking at the first three characters and fails if those include a BOM.

Since I was invoked, I've fixed it.

BTW, markdown != text, so I think that we're entitled to be intolerant
of crap on input; indeed your own tool was intolerant until I reported
the bug.

Having to fix every single tool in existence is a nuisance.  I want to
be able to read character[0] and get a character.  In this case it was
cut(1) passing the problem down to the next fool (me), but grep with
'^---' would have failed too.