Re: [Doh] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think you're underestimating the value of a switch to a multiplexing
> facilitating protocol/transport.  Once this has gotten its legs under it, I
> suspect that this approach for connecting to caching resolver will perform
> better than any of traditional upd/tcp connections or the tls/dtls
> approaches DPRIVE created.

DNS over TCP already supports out-of-order responses. The reason it has
historically not performed very well is that server implementations have
handled queries on a TCP connection serially rather than concurrently.

But this is improving. BIND 9.11 (for example) supports concurrent queries
with out-of-order responses over TCP and TCP fast open, so queries over
TCP should perform well, and better than UDP for large responses.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Faeroes, Southeast Iceland: Southeasterly 4 or 5, increasing 6 to gale 8