Re: [Doh] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

Hi Mark,

On 9/19/17 2:26 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
The use case that I believe most have in mind is "as a user, I want to configure my [browser, OS] to use *this* DOH service for DNS resolution" -- where that configuration is manual; e.g., a configuration textbox or dropdown in the browser, or a file in /etc. It might be made more user-friendly; e.g., it could be automatic when the user goes into the ill-defined "private mode."

Your first sentence should probably be recognizable in the charter (it's not, and thus all the email).  That would at least allow for operations that are congruent with existing methods so that split DNS and malware protection functions can take place.  It also at least roughly matches the security considerations text already in the draft.

As to the 2nd sentence, ain't nothing stopping that, but some text should probably make it into the draft that *someone* is going to know what queries you're making.  That's not a charter issue, of course.

Eliot