Brief history against non-ASCII RFCs (was Re: RFC Series publishes first RFC with non-ASCII characters)

There was Latin1 characters included in early MIME drafts.

I told late Prof. Jon Postel, the rfc editor at that time,
that that is a violation of formatting rules and causes a lot
of problems and is against internationalization but he
answered that it was inevitable because some examples in the
drafts need to include non-ASCII characters.

So, I said Jon that MIME rfcs and there drafts can avoid
including Latin1 characters because examples in the drafts
can (and should, of course) be written with MIME format to
represent Latin1 characters by ASCII. .

As a result, MIME rfcs (1341, 1342 etc.) are published in
pure ASCII.

Since then until just recently, all the rfcs are published in
pure ASCII, though I don't know how deeply Jon understood
various problems caused by non-ASCII characters.

And, I can see no reason why rfc8187 must include non-ASCII
characters only to make rfcs a lot less internationalized.

						Masataka Ohta