Re: Revamp of the www.ietf.org website - next steps

I also agree. Just because you CAN update web pages to make them looks more “modern” or “stylish” doesn’t mean that you SHOULD …

Cheers,
Andy

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

+1

Stewart

On 04/08/2017 22:27, Pat Thaler wrote:
I also prefer the style on: https://www.ietf.org/wg/chairs-page.html. for a links page

The low contrast tone-on-tone is hard to read and the two column arrangement with just one to three links per column line makes it easier to select the link.

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Tim Chown <tjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

> On 4 Aug 2017, at 16:57, Russ Housley <housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Many thanks to everyone who took time to review  the beta.ietf.org website and provide comments. Based on feedback received, there seem to be a few items requiring attention before moving the revamped public-facing website to production:
>
> A. Provide a landing page dedicated to current IETF participants
>
> That page will include links to:
> - items on the left-side at www.ietf.org (or a subset thereof)
> - information about the next IETF meeting
> - links to functions at datatracker.ietf.org
>
> Ideally this would also be:
> - viewable in a single screen on a desktop/laptop display
> -  reachable via a short, memorable URL without images
>
> A draft is currently posted at https://beta.ietf.org/links/

Having a direct and short URL to the ‘participants’ page’ will be welcome.

But as it stands, the beta links page is difficult to parse. It would be easier to parse were it laid out more like this style - https://www.ietf.org/wg/chairs-page.html.

> This page can be updated further based on input from the community. There were also some suggestions received that revisions to datatracker.ietf.org might meet this need. While that is out of scope for this project, suggestions have been noted by the tools team.  If you frequently use something that is missing, please let us know.

The main site and the datatracker site take different perspective on certain (important) areas, such as past and next meeting info. Both are useful.  Witness https://www.ietf.org/meeting/100/index.html and https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming.

I’m expecting with the revamp that I would rarely visit www.ietf.org, rather I would visit the new ‘links’ URL and the datatracker, where now I visit www.ietf.org and the datatracker.  I would point people interested in finding out more about the IETF to www.ietf.org.

I’m very happy with the datatracker site.  New features like support for managing and submitting draft reviews are really nice.

> B. Ensure WCAG 2.0 compliance
>
> This is a requirement of the SOW (https://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/IETF-Website-SOW-20140604-Final.pdf) and we are working with the website developer to ensure it is implemented. The baseline goal is to improve upon the status of the current www.ietf.org site. Furthermore, improving accessibility will continue to be an area of focus for the revamped website.

As someone with contrast issues, I don’t think https://beta.ietf.org/links/ would be compliant; it’s light blue on light grey.  There’s no need for the text to be that light, or there to be a background ‘colour’.

Thanks,
Tim