Re: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

On Jul 31, 2017, at 10:25 AM, Eric Gray <eric.gray@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                This does not seem to be a good idea, because it makes things more difficult for most people so that it is easier for a few.  I rather like the idea that all of my devices are able to connect to the IETF WiFi by default.

This assertion is not based in fact, as far as I know.   The _fact_ is that we don't actually know whether this (v6-only+nat64 as the default) will create hardship for "most people".   It won't make it easier for anyone—that's not the point.

Also, none of your devices can connect to the IETF wifi automatically: it's protected by 802.1x, so you have to set that up, and in my experience doing so has not been trivial for some devices (e.g., my Chromebook and my Android).   I haven't had to introduce a new device to the IETF SSID in a while, but everybody who connects to the IETF SSID had to do something to connect to it—it didn't Just Happen.

FWIW, I don't think those folks who are reacting to this discussion negatively need to be so concerned.   As far as I can tell, the consensus on the mailing list is not to do this, and in particular if the NOC staff aren't willing to do it there's no point in us arguing about it.   I think the conversation has been useful, but if you feel the need to weigh in just to say you're against it, I think that need has passed.

I am disappointed with this apparent consensus, and surprised at and disappointed in some of the people who pushed back on the proposal.   But if you think I am continuing to participate in the conversation because I think I'm going to change the consensus, rest assured that I have no such illusions.