Re: Announcement on IETF 100 Hotel Reservations

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:27:45AM -0400, Tim Wicinski wrote:

> I've never been hassled for any of the things I've brought in - medicine,
> electronics, and even gum.

I haven't visited as often as either of you, I think, but I also found
the entry to be mostly painless.  At the same time, however, I think
we need to be quite careful in what we are saying.  We are encroaching
again on the same controversy that caused difficulty when the site was
announced.

There are two ways to evaluate risk in respect of a jurisdiction's
rules.  One is to take the literal text of the rules and assume that
those rules are in effect.  The other is to attend to what mostly
happens in the jurisdiction under normal circumstances, and treat that
as the actual, practical risk in the jurisdiction.

The second approach has the natural appeal that it is pragmatic, and I
am prepared to believe that most of the people involved in this sort
of travel make that kind of judgement all the time.

But the problem with it for an organization like ours that is
travelling _en masse_ to a location is that the rules remain in place.
They are therefore available to be imposed on any individual if
circumstances emerge such that authorities would like to do that.
That Singaporeans are themselves apparently mostly disinclined to
enforce many of the official rules capriciously is certainly good news
(I can think of one country we travelled to in the recent past where
that appears not to be the case).

Circumstances change in countries, sometimes in surprising ways.
Therefore, IETF participants who are going to attend IETF 100 should
be aware that the rules are strict and published.  Each traveller
should weigh the reports of non-enforcement against the risk that the
rule could be enforced in one's own case.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx