Re: quick observation about remote participation registration

> I would think that this should be even easier because, unless
> someone can think of a reason to not do so, the registration
> code for on-site registrations should simply work in Meetecho.
> Putting you through a second registration/ signup procedure when
> you are already registered for the meeting (and, in your case
> but less in Spencer's use of in-room Meetecho was slide viewer,
> likely in a hurry) seems like unreasonable bureaucracy.   If we
> need to keep a distinction between on-site and off-site remote
> participants, that distinction should be embedded into the
> registration codes, not require the user to pretend to be two
> people (which would actually distort the statistics).

Alternatively, why can't the existing www.ietf.org have a visible but not overpowering link out that invites non-participants to learn about the IETF and its objectives.  "New to the IETF? Learn About What We Do!" seems to convey the point, and can take the Internet non-Engineering Task Force people off to a forum more suited to their needs, while leaving the www.ietf.org website to serve the IETF.

I have to agree with the others who think 'beta' is a lot of wasted screen real estate.  We are not a marketing organization, so what the hell is a "featured internet draft?"  Why is this draft more important than any other i-d?  Oh, and a refresh says there is a "featured RFC" as well.  Really?

And if there is a link to the datatracker, or anything else of use, I sure can't find it on that page.

For the stated goals in the title graphic, I think it fails on all three accounts.  It does nothing for active participants, as an onramp it takes people nowhere, and it certainly explains nothing about the IETF.

If the IETF is really thinking of growing a Marketing Department, well ...  But they can have a visible but unobtrusive link off the main page.  marketing.ietf.org can have all the graphics and javascript it wants.  That keeps it out of the way of the people doing IETF work, while serving the "marketing" needs of the IETF.  It certainly follows the model of most other entities on the Internet when it comes to promoting themselves.

--lyndon