Re: Revamp of the www.ietf.org website

> On 17 Jul 2017, at 17:31, Martin Rex <mrex@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>>
>> I think a missing aspect of the web site, which should be prominent in
>> both the home page and also the ?contact? page, is all the social media.
>>
>> I see there is a ?share this page? at the right of the main picture,
>> but in my opinion, is not clearly visible and is not enough
>> (the logos of the social networks should be recognized without...
>
> Cough, cough, WHAT???
>
> Please get rid of the "social media" crap entirely.  I thought that
> there was an IETF consensus that privcay is sensible and useful, and
> strong privacy protections should be the default.
>

> Facebook, Twitter and other "social media" crap is the far opposite of
> strongy privacy, so none of this should be encouraged or promoted by
> the IETF.
>

> Comparing the bandwidth necessary to load the entire homepage,
> I notice the following issues:
>
>  https://www.ietf.org/    Total 188176 bytes (mainly by accident, it seems)
>                           The visible page _contents_ are just fine,
>
>    but the page designer goofed the photo in the meeting information,
>    because the picture is transferred at size 640x427 taking up 150270 bytes,
>    although it is actually being displayed at just 200x133, where a
>    pre-scaled image would need just 17 KBytes.
>
>    Even on my 5" Smartphone, the https://www.ietf.org/ loads just fine,
>    I get the whole picture immediately, and can zoon into my area of interest.
>

>  http://www.ietf.org/     Total 1195800 bytes (ouch ouch ouch ouch).
>
>    is a completely botched page design. it needs multi-page scrolldown
>    even on a big desktop screen, and finding stuff has become extremely
>    difficult.
>
>    This page even manages to provide *ZERO* intelligible information
>    when loaded on my SmartPhone
>
>    only shows the Welcome / Revamp <Learn More>  + Social Media Crap Buttons
>
>    and when scrolling down the multiple pages of crap on my SmartPhone,
>    very close to zero of the links _that_used_to_be_ on https://www.ietf.org
>    pass by.
>

>    Normally I close such bloated ad & nag screens immediately, though
>    nowadays uBlock saves my health by ensuring that most of such crap
>    does not even get displayed on any of my screens (desktop & mobile)
>    in the first place.
>
>    The huge background picture (IETF-Past-Meetings.max-4000x4000.jpg)
>    with 763216 Bytes is just crazy.  Is this about a party/festival?
>    A *HUGE* waste of network bandwidth and memory (RAM and on-disk cache)
>    and writing text over photos also make reading difficult (poor contrast).
>

> All in all, my personal summary for https://beta.ietf.org/
>
> disgusting and extremly bloated, usless and highly confusing.

I disagree about social media. I believe those links are useless but mostly harmless. Really, nobody is going to get interested in Internet standardization because some friend shared the front page, but I don’t lose any privacy because somebody was sent a link to a public page.

I agree about the design.

Yoav