Re: I-D Action: draft-thomson-postel-was-wrong-01.txt

Brian,

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 3:44 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 15/06/2017 08:20, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>> I would be very unhappy to see us take the lesson from cases where we
>> were sloppy to be that we should tell everyone to have their
>> implementations break at the slightest error.
>
> Indeed. We need implementations to be as robust as possible. That
> means careful thought, both in the specification and in every
> implementation, about how to handle malformed incoming messages.
> There's no single correct answer, as I am certain Jon would have
> agreed. Some types of malformation should simply be ignored,
> because the rest of the message is valid. Others should cause the
> message to be discarded, or should cause an error response to be
> sent back, or should cause the error to be logged or reported to
> the user. There is no single correct solution.
>
> Clearly the Postel principle was intended as general guidance.
>
> Looking at the core of the draft:
>
>      Protocol designs and implementations should fail noisily in
>      response to bad or undefined inputs.
>
> that seems a very reasonable principle for *prototype* and
> *experimental* implementations, and a lousy one for production
> code, where the response to malformed messages should be much
> more nuanced; and the users will prefer the Postel principle
> as a fallback.

I agree.

It also seems to me that having implementations "fail noisily in response to bad or undefined inputs" is a great formula to making implementations very fragile and consequently very easy to attack.  Overall, I think the approach outlined in this draft would not have allowed us to build the current Internet.

Bob

p.s. The file name chosen for this draft appears to be a good example of stepping on the toes of those who came before, instead of standing on their shoulders.  See: http://wiki.c2.com/?ShouldersOfGiants