Re: I-D Action: draft-thomson-postel-was-wrong-01.txt

> On Jun 15, 2017, at 6:54 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I suggest that one of the reasons the
> Internet has been successful is precisely because of sensible
> application of the robustness principle.   Not only do things
> mostly work, or at least produce sensible error messages or
> warnings rather than blowing up, in the presence of small
> deviations or errors, but (in recent years at least in theory)
> it avoids out having to spend extra years in standards
> development while we analyze every possible error and edge case
> and specify what should happen.  Instead, when appropriate, we
> get to say, when appropriate, "this is the conforming behavior,
> if you don't conform, the standard has nothing to say to you,
> but you should not depend on its working".  The robustness
> principle is important guidance for those edge cases.

+1

Further, testing for all those edge cases becomes itself a performance burden on operational code, amplifying the leverage of a DOS attack based on all that excess validation.

The Postel principle helps make achieving the balance between usefulness and correctness tractable.

Joe