Re: wireless geolocation

> The IETF AP's go active for a short-time, and then go dark, and when
> they come back, they are obviously in a different location

how does the geoloc provider detect that they are in a new locatio?
i assume, but do not know, that google drives by, but not very often.
i have no ideas how others do it.  gsm comparison?  phone gps?  but does
my phone give them those data; i might not like that.

> users who geolocate to those AP's quickly shown to be in the "wrong"
> place, in that when they get Cell Tower information, it conflicts with
> the geolocation hint associated with the AP.

my phone gets the conflict, but does the geoloc provider?  does my phone
give them those data; i might not like that.

> The service could keep them on a list of AP's where after they go dark
> for say, 24 hours, when they come back on-line the system should try
> to use location services based on cell tower, GPS, etc., to figure out
> where they are on a real-time basis.

i suspect they already do some sort of thing such as this.  after all,
it's their business.  unfortunately, roaming APs are probably a
negligible percent of their targets; which is why they do not even
answer our email.

randy