Re: wireless geolocation

I guess they could be changed to Locally Administered.  Not sure the AP's UI supports that.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 06:38:00PM -0400, Donald Eastlake wrote:
> bssid/macs are manufacturer based but there are companies that provide
> positioning services based on learning where those MACs are -- typically
> combining such MAC based Wi-Fi/Bluetooth information with IP, GPS, ...
> information to try to get an accurate location. If you happen to be in a
> hotel function room and can only see meeting provided APs, so you can't see
> any fixed local APs, you can easily get Geolocated to the previous meeting
> site.

Can the BSSIDs be changed?  I know, that might be disruptive in that
users will have to re-teach their devices about trusted APs, but that
seems like a decent trade-off.

--
Clint Chaplin
Principal Standards Engineer