Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-isis-auto-conf-04

On 4/7/17, 5:30 PM, "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Les:

Hi!

> System-id duplication is a problem for any deployment - not just autoconfig
> deployments. And it will be disruptive in any network until it is resolved.
>
> The only thing autoconfig has added is a way to resolve this w/o manual
> intervention. This in no way increases the vulnerability nor the disruption the
> attacker can produce. (Yes - I state that quite intentionally).

I don’t know about Robert, but that is part of the discussion I would like to see.

Yes, duplicate system-ids have always been a potential problem, but this document introduces a new de-duplication mechanism that results not just in unsync’d databases, but in restarting adjacencies – so at least the manifestation of the problem is different.

> So you are asking us to repeat a discussion which has already been held in the context of
> RFC 5304 and RFC 5310.
>
> It would be more appropriate to add the normal reference to RFC 5304/5310 in the
> Security section than what you propose.

I don’t think it hurts to add a reference to those RFCs, but they are both about adding authentication – the problem in this document is exacerbated by the fact that there’s no authentication by default.

The lower layer authentication mechanisms are quite weak, specially knowing that, if in a home environment, for example, it may be relatively easy to connect to the WiFi network.

Alvaro.