Re: IETF subpoena processes update and a request

On 3/24/2017 9:27 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
> Suppose the IETF (or whomever) receives a subpoena that
> names individuals or companies in a way that might be
> unfortunate, contain implicit accusations that might be
> completely unfounded,  or even, in the opinion of those parties
> if they knew, were libelous, and suppose it directs IETF to not
> disclose the subpoena in any way.  Without offering anything
> resembling a legal opinion, it probably makes a difference
> whether the subpoena is associated with a law enforcement action
> rather than the civil actions for which I think the policies
> were designed.
This seems like it also raises the EU's "right to be forgotten"
principle, which would affect whether the ISOC can archive even notices
that were originally public.

Sort of running a boat, blimp, or satellite in "international waters",
it seems like these are complications to operating *anywhere*.

Joe