Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-07.txt> (IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture) to Internet Standard

> > I conceded that is probably true for most of the IPv4-Embedded IPv6
> > Address Formats in section 2.2 of RFC6052, but the /96 format seems
> > indistinguishable from other IPv6 addresses with embedded IPv4 addresses
> > described in Section 2.4.5 of this draft.
> >

> Could we say that the IID is 64 bits long "for all addresses except those
> that start with binary 000, and those that embed IPv4 addresses [RFC 6052]"?

This is demonstrably false (there are lots of IPv6 interfaces with for
instance /124 or /126 masks, among others). I don't expect all of these
IPv6 interfaces to be changed to /64 even if an RFC says so.

So the question is, what do you gain by stating this in an RFC?

(I know, the discussion is old and I don't expect any views to change.
It stills seems wrong to publish an RFC with such an obviously wrong
statement.)

Steinar Haug, AS2116