Re: [Gen-art] Review of draft-ietf-6man-rfc1981bis-04

Fred,

>> Yes, but sending at 1280 does not work for IP tunnels. The whole purpose of the minimum MTU was to give space for tunnel headers
>> (1500-1280).
>
> But, if non-tunnel links set a 1280 MTU which is perfectly OK with the standard then
> there is no space for headers. Given the issues with classical PMTUD then (plus the
> non-applicability of RFC4821 for tunnels) the only solution for tunnels is fragmentation.
> I'll let Joe step in if he wants to.

You are correct. "Does not work for IP tunnels without fragmenting the outer header" is what I should have written.
Of course it appears IPv6 fragments have a order of magnitude higher drop probability than ICMP PMTUD messages.

Pick your poison.

Best regards,
Ole