Re: Fwd: Re: [Jmap] Fwd: Re: WG Review: JSON Mail Access Protocol (jmap) - reducing configuration complexity

(Top Post)
Exactly.  Could not have said it better myself.

There is one additional issue here.  JMAP (or some hypothetical
xMAP) can either aspire to be a cleaner, more modern, less
LISP-like interface to (more or less, see below) the same
functionality as IMAP _or_ it can aspire to be a better idea,
with a different underlying architecture and/or reference model,
functionality, etc.

Can't have it both ways, at least without moving from
discussions about proxies and overlays and into discussions
about translators that are a lot more like gateways, gateways
that, like most of their predecessors, mostly work and mostly
preserve functionality and semantics.

My confusion about this effort -- and it has been considerable--
is that I've heard different statements claiming goals in both
categories.  That isn't acceptable, if one because a WG proposal
for one approach should be evaluated differently from one
proposing the there one.   The choice really must be made now
and, whatever it is, should be absolutely crystal-clear in the
charter... in addition to the things Dave describes below, which
should also be spelled out.

    john

--On Monday, February 13, 2017 09:30 -0800 Dave Crocker