Re: Fwd: Re: [Jmap] Fwd: Re: WG Review: JSON Mail Access Protocol (jmap) - reducing configuration complexity

Dave and John,

On 08/02/2017 15:33, Dave Crocker wrote:

> On 2/8/2017 7:03 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
>> However, from the perspective of someone trying to maintain servers
>> or a mailstore, the fact that there will be both types of users (for
>> a long time if not forever), it implies the need to maintain (and
>> configure, support, etc.) both IMAP/SMTP and JMAP facilities in
>> parallel and to support, also for a long time, the ability to convert
>> between the two formats.  Also, if that conversion is not absolutely
>> lossless, there will be a large collection of ongoing problems, for
>> an equally long time.
>
> +1
>
> This creates a dual-stack operational environment.  They always have
> real -- and often problematic -- operational effects.
>
> Given the long-standing complaints about IMAP's complexity, it still
> might be worth doing.  But as has already been noted, what is required
> here is a very compelling value statement that justifies the second
> 'stack'.
>
> The posted list of folk who are expected to implement this helps quite a
> bit, IMO.  However we seem to be missing the compelling
> /technical-operations/ value proposition.  Will the resulting protocol
> be simpler, more efficient, faster, ... and what is the basis for
> asserting such improvements?

Neil Jenkins did a very good summary of existing problems and how JMAP
is trying to improve over IMAP:
<https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/imapext/current/msg05820.html>
> On 2/6/2017 7:40 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>> The current proposal is "advancing on the old". It is improving on
>> some IMAP use cases
>
> Where is this explained in the charter -- with enough detail to make it
> possible to assess it?  This seems to me foundational for the effort's
> value proposition.
See pointer to Neil's email above. The list of improvements is rather
long, so I didn't want to include it in the Charter. Instead, the
Charter already says:

The working group will deliver the following:

- A problem statement detailing the deployment environment and
  situations that motivate work on a new protocol for client to
  server email synchronisation.  The working group may choose
  not to publish this as an RFC.

This item was intended to cover exactly that.
> On 2/8/2017 5:34 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>>> Drafts?  What drafts?  Perhaps you mean:
>>>
>>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jenkins-jmap
>>>
>>> Except that no draft is cited in the charter.
>>
>> I realized that I accidentally deleted an important sentence from
>> the Charter while doing editing. One of the paragraphs should have
>> read:
>>
>> The work of this group is limited to developing a protocol for a
>> client synchronising data with a server. The work will be based on
>> draft-jenkins-jmap and draft-jenkins-jmapmail. Any server-to-server
>> issues are out of scope for this working group. New end-to-end
>> encryption mechanisms are out of scope, but the work should consider
>> how to integrate with existing standards such as S/MIME and OpenPGP.
>
> Ahh.  Yes, very helpful.  Thanks!
>
> This then raises a point of nuance about a charter's reference to the
> documents that are foundational to a working group effort:  indicating
> constraints on their role.  That is, what is the working group
> authorized to do with the document. This can be extremely helpful with
> working group management and helping participants to focus.
>
> Roughly the choices are a continuum between having no constraints --
> the doc is simply used as input and advice -- all the way to only
> being permitted to fix bugs and improve editorial writing.
>
> The text you've provided here says 'based on'.  In a more benign
> world, clarifying what that means wouldn't be necessary, but in the
> current reality, I urge adding text that indicates why degree of
> modification the wg is allowed to make on the drafts.

I think this is an excellent idea and I will add more text to the
charter about constraints/expected changes.

Best Regards,
Alexey