Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses-05.txt> (Internationalized Email Addresses in X.509 certificates) to Proposed Standard

--On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 05:13 +0000 Viktor Dukhovni
<ietf-dane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am asking the author to remove that dependency, leaving
> construction of the normal form of the reference identifier to
> the application rather than the X.509 stack.  If he is
> unsuccessful, and there is a fundamental requirement for X.509
> certificate validation code to become IDNA aware, that'd be a
> major barrier to widespread support for this specification.

As you and others have pointed out, SMTPUTF8 is deploying rather
slowly.   That should not be a surprise to anyone who
participated in the WG discussions and understands the issues --
there are a complex sequencing and support tradeoffs involved
although with a number of problems some would describe as
involving "chicken and egg" relationships and others would claim
would benefit from a flag day.

So, as I understand it, you want to shift the issues to the
application in order to get more rapid deployment.  I prefer to
keep the decisions, including a single canonical form, bound to
the X.509 certificate because I think, especially given the
security implications of either false positives or false
negatives, that getting implementations right (and consistent)
is more important than getting quick deployment.   A preference
for "right" over "quick" is particularly important where IDNs
are concerned given the number of inconsistent implementations
of things claiming to be IDNA in the wild.

best,
   john