Re: IPv4 outage at next IETF in Chicago

> Question for you NOC folks: when I report a problem, how much information
> do you need?
> For instance, I can say, ³Jabber failed.²
> Or I can say, ³Jabber failed, here¹s my account.²
> Or I can say, ³Here¹s a packet capture of trying to log into Jabber.²
> But I don¹t want to provide more data than is useful.

maximize data to allow to reproduce, but minimize PII.  and if it is a
well-known problem, e.g. skype, just X on platform Y does not work over
ssid Z on date D.

> Also, I don¹t know of any reporting on tickets like that.

i think it would be nice if the ipv6 folk put in a little work here.
maybe a wiki or whetever.  please remember the noc folk on whom you are
leaning are also unpaid volunteers.  though we can put up a service
(wiki or whatever) for you to use.

> That kind of reporting would help us understand what still breaks on
> IPv6-only or NAT64, and therefore how much pain it would be to make
> one of those configurations be the default SSID.

when a significant number of folk have actually tested, reported, and
problems have been fixed sufficiently that the masses can get their MTV,
let's talk mucking with the default network.

> Would you folks give us some guidance on how to report issues, and
> provide some reports, so we can have metrics telling us when we can
> reasonably make changes?

we have a ticket system and there is a way for you to generate tickets.
but, imiho, tickets are not a great way to document the space.  when you
have a particular issue and are working on getting it fixed, tickets are
great.  but they's an unintelligible mess for tryingt to make a matrix
of whether X works on network flavor Y with platform Z.

> I understand the primary requirement for the IETF network is to let
> people get their work done. So I¹m trying to figure out how to list
> stuff that wouldn't work, so we can clear the way, so we don't
> interfere with work.

solid plan

randy