Re: [IAOC] question to the IAOC: new committee members

Speaking as an individual ...

On Nov 17, 2016 04:39, "Scott O. Bradner" <sob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> there was also a public call for volunteers (which is how we got the names)
>
> Scott
>
> > On Nov 16, 2016, at 2:26 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Jordi,
> >
> > It's very common for committees to appoint sub-committees, within their
> > range of responsibilities, and for sub-committees to coopt experts.
> >
> > I am not in the least shocked by this; in fact given the expansion of
> > the IASA's workload over the last 10 years it seems entirely normal
> > to me. I don't think anything has been hidden, and of course the IAOC
> > as a whole remains responsible for the work of IASA subcommittees,
> > according to section 3.2 of RFC4071. Specifically "The IAOC's mission
> > is not to be engaged in the day-to-day administrative work of the IASA,
> > but rather to provide appropriate direction, oversight, and approval."

We had a vaguely similar discussion when the IAB started broadening the group of people who help the IAB carry out its chartered responsibilities by setting up IAB programs in 2010.

It seems to me that as long as the group communicates with the broader community, and as long as the broader community knows what is happening and how to appeal problems, and as long as the broader community knows who to recall if things are REALLY off the rails, the way this is done is probably ok.

IMO, of course.

Spencer