Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt

In message <alpine.OSX.2.11.1608092140330.1678@ary.local>, "John R Levine" writes:
> > RFC2671/RFC6891 has

> >      Set to zero by senders and ignored by receivers, unless modified
> >      in a subsequent specification.
> >
> > which resulted in 2% of deployed nameservers just copying reserved
> > bits to the reply or 3% of nameservers not answering because a
> > reserved bit is set.
>
> I suppose, but how many of the people who wrote the broken code would have
> paid attention if it said YOU MUST SET THE BIT TO ZERO AND THEN IGNORE IT
> YOU MORON.

We will never know.

"MUST be set to zero by senders and MUST be ignored by receivers,
unless modified in a subsequent specification." would have caught
those that scan for MUST, SHOULD and MAYs.

At the moment we have draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue-03 to try
and clean up the mess out there.  I'm waiting on Tim for promised
feedback before I publish -04.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC