Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt

In message <20160809232819.1291.qmail@xxxxxxx>, "John Levine" writes:
> >Obviously, taste and correctness matter.
> >It still won't be a good idea to say "The reserved bit must be zero on
> >send and must be ignored on receive," arguing "Well, we don't want to
> >use MUST because some implementations don't do that so it can't be
> >normative."
>
> I'd write "The reserved bit is set to zero on send and is ignored on
> receive" and save the command terms for things where one might think
> that there was a reason to do something else.

RFC2671/RFC6891 has

      Set to zero by senders and ignored by receivers, unless modified
      in a subsequent specification.

which resulted in 2% of deployed nameservers just copying reserved
bits to the reply or 3% of nameservers not answering because a
reserved bit is set.

https://ednscomp.isc.org/compliance/ts/alexa.flagsfail.html

A bit more emphasis may have changed the result.

At least the TLD servers no longer copy the reserved bits.  The
last server doing that was just upgraded a week or so ago.

https://ednscomp.isc.org/compliance/ts/tld.flagsfail.html

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC