Re: bettering open source involvement

On 02/08/2016 10:40, joel jaeggli wrote:
> On 8/1/16 1:44 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> On 02/08/2016 02:36, Eggert, Lars wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> as an addition to developing specs, that might be useful, if the spec remains the canonical standards output.
>>>
>>> "Go read the code" is not a useful answer if the code comes under a license (such as GPL) that taints the developer.
>>
>> This is a *very* important point. If an IETF WG sponsors code development, it needs to
>> be under an IETF-friendly licence. One way is to post it as an I-D. Another way is the
>> BSD 2-Clause "Simplified" or "FreeBSD" License. GPL is not a useful option.
>
> "IETF WG sponsors code development"
>
> I'm not sure what this means, are you paying for a developer?

No, "sponsor" does not automatically mean payment. One of the
Merriam-Webster meanings is "assumes responsibility for some other
person or thing."

> I certainly have opinions as to what terms I'm willing to accept on IPR,
> patented or otherwise.

Of course. But if you're in IETF-land, you've already accepted IETF rules.

> if it's a question of the inclusion of code in a working-group doc then
> that's a question of consensus...

Correct. But if I include code in any old I-D, I'm automatically placing
it under the IETF Trust licence, which is simplified BSD. That's nothing
to do with consensus.

   Brian