Re: [GROW] Last Call: <draft-ietf-grow-blackholing-00.txt> (BLACKHOLE BGP Community for Blackholing) to Proposed Standard

> The second major area of concern I have about this proposal is the
> transitive nature of the bgp community.  The issue is that the draft
> specifies a mechanism to cause traffic to be dropped on the floor,
> that the signaling mechanism is globally transitive in scope, and the
> specific intent is that prefixes tagged in this way are exported to
> other ASNs. In other words, the draft specifies behaviour that is
> risky by default.

risky?  this is a disasterous vulnerability large enough to handle a
very large truck.

we really do not need a global mecahnism by which an attacker can spoof
a bgp announcement of someone's prefixes and cause traffic to the
specified address space(s) to be discarded on a significant portion of
the internet.

until bgp annoucements can be rigorously authenticated, this is a
disaster waiting to happen.  and it will not wait long.

randy