Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 12:27 AM, Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Fernando Gont <fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Or is it just that only some forms/expressions of diversity are desirable?
>

> That's a fascinating question. All else being equal you might imagine that
> any group of people would give the earliest/most thought to the forms of
> diversity that are the most represented in that group, simply because it is
> more obvious to them. Thus, the IETF has had a geographic diversity policy
> for a long time, while other forms of diversity were represented less/later.

No, the IETF has NOT had a geographic diversity policy for its
meetings for a long time.

The policy was very simply to hold meetings to roughly equalize the
travel burden on the people who were actually attending the meetings.
It had nothing to do with diversity. Asia was added to the rotation,
first as one out of 5 (2-2-1) and then as one out of 3 (1-1-1) after
Asia attendance actually increased, NOT due to any sort of diversity
policy or marketing effort. I think that was a good policy, one
oriented to getting work done. Buenos Aires was a stark exception to
this policy.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx