Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

On Thu, May 26, 2016 5:11 pm, Fernando Gont wrote:
> On 05/26/2016 02:44 PM, Margaret Cullen wrote:
[snip]
>> Also, while I enjoy our World Tour as much as the next girl, the
>> meeting in Buenos Aires had very poor attendance from regular
>> attendees, and this made it harder to get work done, IMO.
>
> So this sounds like there's some form of diversity that is desirable,
> and others that aren't (e.g., geographic diversity)? e.g., why don't you
> see this "world tour" (which for a BA-resident wasn't actually a tour in
> the first place) as something that goes in favor of diversity? Or is it
> just that only some forms/expressions of diversity are desirable?

  Amen and a +1. Among the social justice crowd there seems to
be a selective definition of "diversity". A good mix of people
that might be underrepresented by "regular attendees" can still
be "diverse". And I would claim that BA qualified.

  I would also like to suggest that the ability of certain members
to bring their family on a vacation that coincides with an IETF
should not be a governing factor in venue selection. Many people
like to launder a business trip into a family vacation (myself
included!) but that's not why the IETF exists and it should have
no bearing on where we meet.

  Dan.