Re: A couple of meta points -- IETF 100, Singapore, onwards

On Tue, 24 May 2016, Adam Roach wrote:

> Be careful when using majority opinion to make decisions that affect
> minority populations. Tyranny of the majority remains the Achilles
> heel of democracies (and this is writ large in consensus building
> exercises).
>
> /a

Yet we seem to do that all the time so let me ask you this:

Suppose we could predict# that some number of attendees from China
would be denied* entry into the US or Canada or Argentina at an
upcoming meeting. Should we conclude that holding the meeting in
those locations is unacceptable and seek a relocation?

* By "denied" I mean no response received about visa application,
visa denied, visa approved months after meeting took place, etc.
In one IETF meeting, 77 people from China applied for letters of
invitation and visas, 27 were able to receive the visas in time
to attend.

# Predicting is hard, but we know that there are almost always
visa problems for the Chinese when we meet in the US or Canada.
Sometime it is much worse than other times.

Ole