Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 24 May 2016, at 8:44 PM, Adam Roach <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I do not doubt that it sucks to be a gay or bisexual male living in
> Singapore. Spending a week there for work should be fine.
>

> I'll again agree with Jari's formulation, adding emphasis to the final three
> cited words: "I think it is of course necessary to consider things that
> affect the ability to enter, safety (possibly including usual human
> activities that people do outside meetings anyway, families travelling
> along)”.
>

> Then I guess where I disagree with both you and Melinda is that I don’t
> think the ability to bring families along should be an important
> consideration. This may be because I have never traveled to work with
> family, nor do I consider them coming as anything other than a vacation (for
> them - I would be stuck in meetings). I am somewhat uncomfortable with idea
> of a companion program, but that’s a subject for a different thread.
>
> Yes, there are exceptional cases such as when people need to travel with
> companions due to disability. Traveling with family beyond that is a choice.

Breastfeeding is another instance where brining your family is
important.  8 days is just too long to be away from a baby
breastfeeding.  It's a lot of milk to pump and send back or have
stocked up in advance.  There are some instances where having a
support person and child are essential to some attendees being able to
participate.  I've said this already and Ted made this argument
already.  There may be other situations, I don't know as I haven't run
into them yet.

Kathleen

--

Best regards,