Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

Hi Melinda,

On 5/24/16 7:37 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

> Nobody here has been able to answer questions about what
> would happen if someone in Ted's family were to need to be
> hospitalized while visiting Singapore, what would happen if
> something happened involving the police (say, a mugging or
> a traffic accident), and so on.  The assurances we've gotten
> haven't been reassuring at all, as they've tended to take
> the form of hearsay.  "I'm sure it would be fine" does not
> actually answer any questions.  "Those laws are not enforced"
> does not address family legal relationships, and so on.

On this point I agree 100%.  Ted's question has gone unanswered.  But if
that is our criteria, it seems we are eliminating almost all of Asia[1],
not that we had a lot of venues to choose from to begin with.  THAT is
what makes this problem so knotty.  I've stated this several times, but
I think I failed to ask the relevant question: given that situation and
the 1-1-1* policy, what would you have the IAOC do?

Eliot
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory