Re: Time to kill layer 2

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Ted Lemon <mellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This problem is solved in a multicast way with mDNS and DNSSD.

No, the problem is 'addressed'. If it was solved, it would work.

The problem is that it isn't working and I can't identify a single
point of failure. Whenever that happens, it is the standard at fault.

> DNSSD is
> working on a way to make this work better in a multiple-subnet environment.
> I'm hoping to produce a solution for homenet that allows devices to register
> using unicast rather than multicast and does a better job of actually
> tracking what services are connected to the network.   You can see a bit of
> this in the -00 of the homenet naming architecture document.

Going to unicast should help. Multicast configuration really doesn't
work on a network with as many hubs and devices as mine has.