Re: Concerns about Singapore

On 10/04/2016 07:20, Melinda Shore wrote:
> On 4/9/16 11:01 AM, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:
>> One could mention sodomy laws in Texas; we have met in Houstaon and
>> Dalls, I believe, there times.
>
> That goes, I think, to the question of unenforceable laws
> (Lawrence v. Texas).  I'm interested in the question of where
> the line is between issues that the IETF needs to deal with
> and matters of personal conscience, and I tend to think it
> comes down to questions of whether or not meeting participants
> will be treated equally when it comes to public accommodation,
> etc.

I think that's the point, and unfortunately, like so many things, it
ends up as a judgment call.

Are transgender people treated equally when getting haircuts? Not always,
it turns out:
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11618046

Does this disqualify Auckland? Probably not, and it's less serious than
being denied a hotel room or worse. But my point is: this issue just goes
in the balance along with everything else, and the problem here seems to be
that the IAOC overlooked it. I sympathise, because I'd probably have
overlooked it too.

otoh, the IETF boycotting SG would not have the same impact as Springsteen
boycotting NC.

   Brian