From: Dhruv Dhody <dhruv.ietf@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Leif Johansson <leifj@xxxxxx>
Cc: "ietf@xxxxxxxx Discussion" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: Concerns about Singapore

Hi Leif,

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Leif Johansson <leifj@xxxxxx> wrote:

On 2016-04-07 20:30, Dhruv Dhody wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> I am happy to see that LGBT inclusiveness taken seriously by the IETF.
>> But looking at the law on the books in black and white, would be doing a
>> disservice to a large region of the world (with a large number of
>> Internet users).
>
>I don't parse that actually.

​Sorry if I was not clear.
​

>How is reading the law of Singapore "doing disservice to a large region
>of the world?"

​No, I meant that IETF would be doing a disservice to a large part of the world (that has on its books these laws). We need to have a nuanced approach and this being another factor in a multitude of factors. Having a blanket rule that the IETF will not go to any such place is something I disagree with.

>I don't think "yes but many who live in Singapore are nice people"
>nor "yes but those laws are hardly ever applied" are useful arguments
>in this discussion but maybe thats just me...
>
>I am pretty sure that Ted (to pick a random example) would be able to
>travel to Singapore for an IETF and be /personally/ quite safe because
>as you say the laws of the land would be selectively applied.
>
>That is always the problem of selectively applied laws: they are used
>when it is convenient... and are often used to intimidate. That is why
>censorship is often self-administered in countries where there are
>censorship laws "on the books".

​I agree with you. I understand this well, as an openly gay person, living in a country with such laws​ on the book.
I hope these laws go away but till then, having a blanket rule against taking IETF to a big part of the world is something I find wrong.

Thanks!
Dhruv