Re: "We did not know" is not a good excuse

On 4/6/2016 9:32 PM, Adrian Farrel wrote:
It may be true that the community could provide a list of vetoed and approved
locations for the Meetings Committee to work with. That is a possible approach.
Another approach might be for the Meetings Committee to suggest some venues and
see what the community feels (this has happened before with a poll on some
venues that Ray sent to the community).

A practical issue is that announcing a venue before there is a contract in place for the meeting site impairs our ability to negotiate the contract. And I'll suggest that this is not an issue that one should try to 'game', such as by trying to obscure the choice by floating various venue possibilities or otherwise hoping that we haven't signaled the choice to a specific city/hotel.

Rather, the way to deal with the choice of acceptable/unacceptable countries or cities is for the IETF community to develop lists reflecting the range of choices.

The IETF's established set of regions is Eastern/Southeastern Asia, North America, Europe. For each of these, the total list of countries is relatively small, so that a priori consideration and assessment by the IETF community ought to be feasible.

(Other regions fall into the asterisk realm of 1:1:1:* and are already subject to prior discussion with the IETF community.)

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking