Re: Uppercase question for RFC2119 words

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 3:55 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> - Normative text doesn't require the use of these key words.  They're
>>> used for clarity and consistency when you want that, but lots of
>>> normative text doesn't need to use them, and doesn't use them.

So you're saying that normative text MAY use key words?  Or it SHOULD
use key words?

Signed,
Confused

Personally, I believe normative text SHOULD use the capitalized keywords.  However, I'm worried we only really have consensus for MAY.

Additionally, It would also be useful to provide a recommendation regarding advancing specification to Internet Standard (RFC6410), is adherence to RFC2119 an important issue in that regard?  And, are capitalized keywords more or less important than the overall stability of the text in that process. Put more directly, should specifications be updated with capitalized keywords as part of that process?  Or, is it more important to keep the text the same?

Even if there isn't a consensus for SHOULD, I think clearly stating the consensus is only MAY would be helpful and might short circuit some unnecessary discsion.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer@xxxxxxx
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952