Re: Last Call on draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-08.txt ("Intellectual Property Rights in IETF Technology")

On 27/03/2016 03:17, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Saturday, March 26, 2016 10:36 +0100 Harald Alvestrand
> <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> If the documents clearly define the term "design team" as
>> teams that are created by a decision in an IETF process, I
>> have very few problem extending "IETF contribution" to
>> contributions to the design team.
>>
>> If (as I've sometimes seen) everyone who meets to hash out an
>> idea wants to call themselves + their friends is a "design
>> team", then I see a problem with the extension.
>>
>> The lunchtime "bar BOF" would be a nice test case - arranged
>> by WG chairs over the WG (or IETF non-WG) mailing list, it
>> would be an IETF activity with IETF contribution; arranged
>> between friends on the way out of the preceding WG meeting, it
>> would (I think) not be.
>
> I think this is a good summary of a reasonable way to draw the
> line.

I agree. In terms of wording in the draft, I'll repeat that
referring to RFC 2418 seems appropriate (rather than relying
on duplicate definitions of terms). To be exact, perhaps:

      Such statements include oral statements, as well as written and
      electronic communications, which are addressed to:

      o the IETF plenary session,
      o any IETF working group [BCP25] or portion thereof,
      o any IETF "birds of a feather" (BOF) session or portion thereof,
      o any IETF design team [BCP25] or portion thereof,
      o the IESG, or any member thereof on behalf of the IESG,

(I intentionally deleted "-sanctioned". As far as I can see it's
redundant and confuses the issue.)

Incidentally, does the "the IESG, or any member thereof" cover
IETF Directorates, which are established by individual IESG members?

  Brian