Not EUI-64 [was Re: Is Fragmentation at IP layer even needed ?]

On 10/02/2016 12:09, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Joe Touch <touch@xxxxxxx> wrote:

No we didn't; they were derived from EUI-64 all along (IEEE MAC being a
proper subset of EUI-64 may have confused people). But that's history,
since the recommendation is being changed to 64 pseudo-random bits
by various recent 6man documents.

>>> If we didn't need them to be MAC addresses we could go to EUI-64 and
>>> have 16 shiny new bits to play with.
>>
>> *You* wouldn't get to play with them; MAC vendors would. How would that
>> help, given they're already intended to be unique?
>
> I don't want a unique identifier associated with my machine going on the wire.
>
> I was one of the first people arguing that WiFi devices should declare
> a random MAC address. The idea of putting permanent linkable
> information on the wire is an abomination.

Maybe, although it does lead to interesting results like Wikipedia blocking
the IPv4 addresses of various Swiss civil servants recently. However,
IPv6 provided a layer 3 fix for this years ago (at the time of the Intel CPU
serial number controversy, iirc). Fixing layer 2 is not our department.

   Brian