Re: Is Fragmentation at IP layer even needed ?

In message <AA50FF2F-8E00-4D63-944F-75C3D5A82F48@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Borm
an writes:

> > On Feb 8, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Warren Kumari <warren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 9:05 AM David Borman <dab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > So if you are writing an application that needs >1500 octets, use an
> IPv6 implementation that supports >1500 octet fragmentation and
> reassembly.
> >
> > ... but as an application writer (or, basically anyone else), I have no
> control over the "IPv6 implementation". Even if I'm in an environment
> where I do control the OS / model of all devices, and I know they support
> >1500 octet, it seems like a bad idea to *rely* on that. Sometime I'm
> going to want to change OS / add some other device, be able to interact
> with some other system. This sounds like vendor lock at its worstâ?¦
>
> If you wind up in a scenario where you get locked to a particular OS
> vendor because itâ??s the only one that supports IPv6 fragmentation >1500
> octets, then that is probably the least of your worries.  Iâ??d be much
> more worried about IPv6 fragmentation in light of Ron Bonicaâ??s comment
> that intermediary nodes drop packets with extension headers, which is bad
> news even for fragmented packets in the 1280-1500 range.
>
> 			-David

Just about every OS supports > 1500 byte fragmentation reassembly.  4K, 8K and
greater reassembly buffers commonly exist.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx